Detox day has to be my favorite day of the week. Not just because it’s a Saturday and I don’t have to be within a 10 mile radius from work, but also because I get to unapologetically do my best Beyonce dance moves whilst flushing the week’s gunk out of my pores. Even though I have a routine throughout the week and cater to my skin depending on what it needs from day to day, detox day is the day where I tend to get a little extra and get it all out. And when it comes to your skin, there’s nothing wrong with getting a little extra every now and then.
- First comes perhaps and obviously the most important part of detox day, masking. Commonly I go the double-mask route, but will sometimes triple depending if an unflattering zit is festering somewhere plush on my face without a care in the world. First I will slap on the Boscia Luminizing Black Charcoal Mask on areas where I have redness and enlarged pore issues. This is a super gentle detox treatment that helps with exfoliation, improving skin texture and radiance with consistent use. Aside for purifying, this mask is my go-to for pore minimizing. Next I slather the rest of my skin in my OG detox mask that has been with me since my down days during the cystic acne crisis, Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores. This is a ultra-purifying mask to deep clean and visibly reduce pores and was one of the main components to help get my cystic acne under control. This one is really good at drawing out impurities and decongesting to keep skin clean and clear while leaving the it soft and smooth
- I’m a notorious shower multi-tasker and most of my actual cleansing routine takes place here. Double-cleansing is an important part of my daily routine as it helps in keeping my skin as clear as possible by assuring no impurities are left to fester on either the surface or deep down in the pores. I double-cleanse with a wide variety of products depending on how my skin feels at that particular moment. For detox day I try to stick to the usual suspects but sometimes I need something that is either purifying, clarifying, medicated, etc. Normally I use the Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil as my first cleanse. This is a gentle two-in-one makeup remover and cleanser with camellia oil that gently melts away impurities, even waterproof makeup, leaving behind pure, silky soft moisturized skin without stripping natural moisture. For my second cleanse I use Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser. This is a gentle liquid formula that cleanses without over-drying or stripping the skin. Among other skin improving derivatives, it contains apricot kernel oil that moisturizes and softens the skin while helping retain clarity and suppleness. Avocado oil helps restore skin’s natural moisture; and squalane, Kiehl’s signature ingredient, keeps skin extra soft and supple
- Now, in between cleanses I have a exfoliation session with my holy grail for life, Bliss Micro Magic. This is first and foremost the only facial exfoliator that I endorse, swear by, vow and commit my life to. The Bliss Microdermabrasion treatment contains powerful and soothing ingredients that scrub away dead skin cells and any leftover impurities that may contaminate your pores that regular face washing couldn’t get. While the Aloe and mushroom extract reduce inflammation and calms the skin, the peppermint extract refreshes and revitalizes. It is super gentle and non-irritating enough that it can be used twice a week. It won’t leave the skin feeling tight and digs up deep-lying impurities to assure a total complexion clarification. I also feel like the effects are more immediate vs. long-term with use as skin is instantly brighter and smoother afterwards
- Once out of the shower, first thing I do is exfoliate the lips and then move on to swiping a cotton ball of the Neogen Dermalogy Real Flower Cleansing Water – Calendula all over my face. This is a ultra-hydrating cleansing water that whisks away dirt and makeup while calming the skin. It’s a super gentle cleanser and is perfect as a post-cleansing toner or a standalone cleansing step, similar to micellar water. With real calendula petals suspended in water, the calming formula is perfect for those with easily irritated or redness-prone skin. Those with oily, combination, or acne-prone skin can benefit from its balancing formula that whisks away excess oil and sebum while keeping your skin hydrated. I like to use it in the evening – it leaves the skin clean without stripping essentials and feels like it’s boosting my lipid barrier as opposed to taking from it. I also find that it makes the face glow without looking greasy. My skin feels much more balanced throughout the next day when I use this the prior evening
- Moving on to toning, for this I use the Missha Time Revolution Clear Toner. This is a mild formula that both cleanses as well as gently removes dead skin cells with AHA and BHA exfoliators. The Clear Toner has fermented yeast extract (saccharomyces ferment filtrate), which helps encourage cellular turnover, promoting clear, bright and even skin tone. I like that it’s gentle and effective, non-drying and feels super refreshing. Skin feels cleaner and smoother
- Time for essence. The Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence Intensive Moist – is literally like holy water to me. It contains over 90% fermented yeast extract from Himalayan purple barley to effectively plump skin, refine texture, and reduce pigmentation. The essence practices a Ion fermentation process, which ensures rapid absorption of moisture, allowing skin to retain moisture for longer and restoring skin elasticity. Formulated with Niacinamide, this element brightens and clarifies skin tone while adenosine energizes for more younger-looking skin. With daily application, this essence moisturizes, improves texture and clarity
- Once I give the essence ample time to work into the skin, about 5-10 minutes depending on how distracted I am, it’s time to spritz with Caudalie’s Grape Water. This is my lifetime go-to and I use it every single night, even under my moisturizer before makeup to keep skin optimally hydrated.
- Now comes the part I truly look forward to, sheet mask time! SK-II Facial Treatment Mask is hands down my all-time favorite sheet mask. This one is formulated to revitalize, comfort, and provide intense hydration and I think it works wonders to plump the skin. After using it skin feels smooth and almost lifted. The skin is radiant, glows and looks noticeably brighter. With prolonged use I noticed that redness around certain areas was reduced drastically and it appears to shrink pores around the nose area as well as in between my eyebrows. I would most definitely call this one life changing. For 1 sheet mask it is kind of a luxurious splurge but worth every single penny. I don’t think I’ve ever been so in love with a mask in all my life.
- After the sheet mask locks in all of the preceding moisture, it’s time to treat! A serum that I seriously can’t live without is the Murad Advanced Acne & Wrinkle Reducer. Ever since I started using this it has been a complete game changer for me as far as serums or concentrates are concerned. The dual-focus formula works to prevent blemishes while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The formula is infused with salicylic acid, which helps the product penetrate deep into the pores to help clear and prevent breakouts. Another main ingredient is the powerful Kombucha Collagen Defense, which reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The Retinol and glycolic acid accelerates skin cell turnover to keep the face looking healthy and glowy with a smooth texture.
- Lastly I apply a sleep mask. One that I have not been able to stop using is the Amorepacific Time Response Skin Renewal Sleeping Masque. Results were literally instant when I used it for the first time, then over the course of a week there was such a major difference in how much more youthful and plump my face appeared! Not to mention it addresses my chronic RBF frown lines that manifest between my eyebrows and they are virtually completely gone after two months of testing.
And that wraps up my detox day skin essentials. There’s quite a bit involved but I love doing it every single week! Do you guys have a detox day? What are some of your go-to products?