MAC just launched two new limited edition highlighter trios called the Hyper Real Glow Palettes ($39.50 / .15 oz – 4.5g each). As a highlighter fan I’ve been waiting on MAC to release new pre-made highlighter palettes and was so stoked when they held early access for their Obsessed and Pro members early last week!
The Hyper Real Glow Palettes each have three shades in a slim, medium-sized compact. The highlighters are all gorgeous with an ultra-reflective, super smooth sheen that effortlessly blend into the skin beautifully without emphasizing pores or texture. All six shades range from semi- opaque to opaque and have soft, creamy textures that are easy to use. Both palettes are perfection in terms of overall quality, but something I did notice right away was that each palette has two highlighters that are very similar in tone and basically run together when applied to skin. Although not a deal-breaker for me, I did find it odd and would’ve liked to see a bit more color differentiation in that sense.
A look at the color selection and descriptions as I see them
Get It Glowin’ – gold-toned highlighter palette
Get It Glowin’ colors and descriptions:
- Gold Coasting – is a warm, light to medium gold with yellow undertones and has a metallic finish
- Get It Glowin’ – is a softer warm, light to medium gold with yellow undertones and has a metallic finish
- Rosy Cheer – is a warm, medium to dark copper with golden undertones and has a metallic finish
Closeup of the colors
Swatched on the arm
Flash + Awe – pink-toned highlighter palette
Flash + Awe colors and descriptions:
- Flash + Awe – is a warm, light pink with peach undertones and has a metallic finish
- Rosy Glow – is a warm, light peach with pink undertones and has a metallic finish
- Light of the Party – is a warm, light to medium gold with pink/yellow undertones and has a metallic finish
Closeup image of the colors
Swatched on the arm
Bottom line I love both palettes despite that two shades in each look a lot alike, but I don’t really mind. Quality is excellent with a smooth sheen that blends nicely into the skin. I find that it’s works like a dream for both cheeks and eyes. Lasting power is really good – all six colors average around 8.5 hours before the high-shine intensity starts to lightly taper off.
Have you tried these palettes? What are your thoughts?