Tomorrow is National Lipstick Day and in celebration I am rounding up some of my favorite lip formulas for you babes today. Just like every other beauty category, everyone has their own favorites and preferences when it comes to formula, color (range), finish and coverage. As most of my long-time readers probably already know, I tend to forever gravitate towards nudes and neutrals. In terms of formula and coverage, I prefer a classic satin, sheen or glossy finish – as far as coverage is concerned I can go either sheer to fully opaque and everything in between. It took days for me to narrow it down to my currently dubbed all-time favorites and for convenience have split them into formula categories.
Best Sheer Coverage
- Tom Ford Clutch-Size Lip Balm (L’Odissea and Cruising shown) is the most comfortable, hydrating sheer lip formula I’ve ever tried – reviewed and swatched in this post.
- Nars Satin Lipstick (Orgasm shown) has a really smooth texture and is quite rich with a lustrous semi- sheer coverage that is easily buildable to medium coverage – reviewed and swatched in this post.
Best Full Coverage
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick (Honeycomb shown) is a full coverage, super creamy lipstick. For years I’ve been searching to find that perfect nude and the shade Honeycomb hit almost all the checkmarks. My second favorite color from the Amuse Bouche Lipstick collection is Meringue, a gorgeous soft pinkish nude (not shown here because I couldn’t find it around my house!).
Best Classic Formulas
- Tom Ford Lips & Boys (Bradley, Austin and Graham shown) is considered my favorite luxury splurge of all time – reviewed and swatched in this post.
- Dior Addict Lacquer Stick (Tease shown) are an addictive hybrid that’s half high-shine lacquer, half lip-loving lipstick with the comfort and feel of a lush lip balm – reviewed and swatched in this post.
- Hourglass GIRL Lip Stylo collection (Believer, Creator, Dreamer and Explorer shown) are classified as lip crayons but features the color intensity of a lipstick – reviewed and swatched in this post.
Best Liquid Lipstick Formulas
- Marc Jacobs Le Marc Liquid Lip Crème (Fawn Over Me, Slow Burn and Truth Or Bare shown) is so far the only liquid lipstick formula I can tolerate as it has an extremely creamy texture that does not settle into my lip lines like most liquid lipstick formulas do – reviewed and swatched in this post.
Best Lip Gloss Formulas
- Nars Velvet Lip Glide (Bait, Disruptor, Unlaced, Suck, Stripped and Impossible Red shown) are not exactly traditional lip glosses nor classic lipsticks, however Nars married both concepts and thus the Velvet Lip Glides were born. Spoiler alert, if you ever asked me, these are hands down my all-time favorite lip formulas – reviewed and swatched in this post.
- Chanel Rouge Coco Gloss (Douceur, Rose Puple and Subtil shown) are my favorite for a natural tint of effortless and easy color – reviewed and swatched in this post.
- Make Up For Ever Artist Plexi Gloss (Colors reviewed and swatched here) I have a love-hate relationship with. I love these because the colors are quite pigmented ranging from sheer to medium-full opaque depending on shade and has great lasting power with a nice texture that helps in their longevity. The one thing I’m not a fan of is the applicator. While I get the concept of the design it was in my opinion poorly executed which causes applications to be inconsistent and often times streaky. This issue can be fixed by using a separate lip color brush, however I prefer to use the actual gloss instead of having to grab another tool just to get a decent application.
- Marc Jacobs Enamored Hi-Shine Lip Lacquer (Work It, Make Me and Skin Deep shown) deliver maximum color with sheer to medium coverage and a brilliant shine that contributes to an optical plumping look. There is a subtle sweet minty scent to the glosses that feels quite cooling on the lips but is not tingly whatsoever – reviewed and swatched in this post.
- Nars Lip Gloss (Orgasm shown) ranks in top 3 of most loved lip gloss formula – reviewed and swatch here, here.
That wraps up my lipstick favorites in honor of National Lipstick Day! What are your favorite lipstick formulas or colors?