Just like we update our wardrobes to relegate to the seasons, our beauty routines receive the exact same treatment to adapt to the changing climates. However, if you find yourself in a mid-Winter rut with your daily regiment, there is some solace in knowing that you don’t have to wait all the way until Spring in order to give it an overhaul. And, you can do so on the cheap! Here are 9 little tweaks you can incorporate to hack your own bathroom that will make a world of difference.
1. Use Aquaphor on the eyes and lips – After you performed your evening routine, right before you go to sleep pat a little Aquaphor on your lips, trust me you’ll never wake up with dry lips again, and pat some on the eye area atop of your eye cream. Patting Aquaphor on the eye area instantly seals in the moisture, meaning you will wake up with brighter, plumper-looking eyes.
2. Sleep with wet braids – Simplify your mornings by going to bed with wet braids the night before to achieve loose, beachy waves. Pat-dry your hair using a towel, spray in a leave-in conditioner like the Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri-Wheat Leave In Conditioner and braid your hair in as many standard braids as you want. You could do one or multiple depending on how intense you want the waves to be.
3. Play up your eyes – Black eyeliners are amazing, but using either brown or a deep blue are great alternatives and instantly transform your overall look. Brown softens while a deep blue shade brightens up the whites of your eyes, making you seem appear less tired and more alert.
4. Get your scrub on – If you have not done so already, a twice-weekly full body exfoliation scrubs away the dead skin cells and any rough patches on elbows, knees, etc., instantly revealing glowing skin. This DIY exfoliation recipe cost next-to-nothing.
5. Tea bag to remedy chapped lips – If blistering Winter conditions blasted your pout already, make yourself a cup of tea and use the tea bag to place over your lips. Tea bags contain tannins, the organic astringent instantly soothes chapped, blistered lips and works to restore the moisture back to your pucker.
6. Steam away – In this previous article I explained the powers of steaming. Trust me, your face will thank you.
7. Own a face oil? Perfect! – If you’ve spotted some fierce split ends whether it be due to Winter conditions or you find yourself between appointments, seal them up using your face oil. Most, if not all facial oils are nutrient-rich in Vitamin E, which in return moisturizes and heals damaged, brittle hair.
8. Go for the dew – The rule of thumb for makeup during this particular season is to opt for matte everything. Good thing rules are meant to be broken. Pull out the cream-based makeup you’d otherwise wear in Spring and Summer to switch things up a bit.
9. Disconnect – Believe me, after reading this you’ll be more than elated to shut your phone off every now and then.
Do you have any cheap tips that you apply to upgrading your beauty routine?